Saturday 21 September 2024

Put The Needle On The Record - Week #38

Put The Needle On The Record Week #38 ABC - The Lexicon Of Love

For this weeks feature we go back to June 1982 and the ABC album "The Lexicon Of Love".

Without a doubt one of greatest albums of the 1980's and an album I still play on a regular basis, superbly produced by Trevor Horn and a ground-breaking album on so many levels and quiet different from any album released in the 80s.

I was on a family holiday with my parents and brother in Llandudno, it was my brother that bought the album on cassette from Woolworths whilst we were on holiday, I had taken my cassette player with me on this holiday so we played this album to death, much to the annoyance of our parents, I forgot to take the mains lead for the cassette player and so we spent a fortune on batteries, probably more that the cost of the album!!

This was ABC's debut album and we had heard the first 3 singles released before the album came out and we were really looking forward to hearing athe full album and we weren't disappointed. Naturally when we returned home I bought the album on vinyl.

The album featured 5 singles, "Tears Are Not Enough" (which reached number 19 in the UK Singles chart), "Poison Arrow" (which reached number 6 in the UK Singles chart and number 25 in the Billboard Top 100), "The Look Of Love", their biggest hit (which reached number 4 in the UK Singles chart and number 18 in the Billboard Top 100), "All Of My Heart", my favourite ABC track (which reached number 5 in the UK Singles Chart) and "Valentine's Day, which was released as a single in Japan only, something I never realized until I did some research about the album!

The album reached number 1 in the UK Album Chart and also did well in the states, reaching Number 24 on the Billboard Top 100 chart.

Track Listing

Show Me
Poison Arrow
Many Happy Returns
Tears Are Not Enough
Valentine's Day
The Look Of Love (Part 1)
Date Stamp
All Of My Heart
4 Ever 2 Gether
The Look Of Love (Part 4)

ABC released the album "The Lexicon Of Love II" in May 2016 and is as equally good as "The Lexicon Of Love" and definitely is worthy of your attention.

If you have this album in your collection, dig it out and give it a spin!

No comments:

Post a Comment