Thursday 18 July 2024

Put The Needle On The Record - Week #29

Put The Needle On The Record Week #29 Marc Almond - The Stars We Are


For this weeks feature we go back to September 1988 and the Marc Almond album "The Stars We Are".

"The Stars We Are" was the 4th studio album released by Marc and is one of my favourite Marc Almond solo albums, quality from beginning to end. The album includes the number 1 he had with Gene Pitney, "Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart", however I prefer Marc's solo version, which appeared on the original album release, as the duet was recorded after the album was completed, later editions did include the Gene Pitney duet. The album features 22 musicians including Almond and is a heavily orchestrated album.

The album featured 4 singles, "Tears Run Rings" (which reached number 26 in the UK Singles Chart), "Bitter Sweet" (which reached number 40 in the UK Singles Chart), "Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart" (which of course made number 1 in the UK Singles Chart) and "Only The Moment" (which reached number 45 in the UK Singles Chart).

Other strong tracks that could have been singles were, "The Stars We Are" and "These My Dreams Are Yours", brilliant tracks.

The album also reached number 41 in the UK Album Chart, which really surprised me! Should have been a top 10 album at least. as ever I am listening to this album whilst do my research on the album and writing this feature.

Track Listing

The Stars We Are
These My Dreams Are Yours
Bitter Sweet
Only The Moment
Your Kisses Burn
The Very Last Pearl
Tears Run Rings
Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart
The Sensualist
She Took My Soul In Istanbul
*The Frost Comes Tomorrow
*Kept Boy
*Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart (With Gene Pitney)

*CD Bonus Tracks

So if you have the album in your collection and have n't played it in a while, dig it out and give it a spin!

No comments:

Post a Comment