Friday 4 October 2024

Put The Needle On The Record - Week #40

Put The Needle On The Record Week #40 Yazoo - Upstairs At Eric's

For this weeks feature we go back to August 1982 and the Yazoo album "Upstairs At Eric's".

This is another one of my all time favourite albums and was played to death when I bought it, it is of course the debut album by Yazoo, which combined the talents of Vince Clarke and Alison Moyet and is a collection of superb synthpop songs, however, I must say, I have no idea why they included the track "I Before E Except after C"! If it was an instrumental track it would be fine, however, it isn't it is just a load of people talking, very odd it was included, aside from that it features some outstanding songs, "Too Pieces", my favourite track and should have been a single, the same goes for "Bad Connection" and "Goodbye 70s", it also includes the classic singles "Only You" and "Don't Go". I also recall that this was another album I purchased from the small HMV shop on Market Street in Manchester.

3 singles were released, their debut single "Only You" (which reached number 2 in the UK Singles chart), "Don't Go" (which reached number 3 in the UK singles chart), by the way, the 12 inch single is fantastic! The final single released was "Situation", however this was only released in the states and Canada, the track was the B side to the "Only You" single and wasn't featured on the album and performed well in the charts in America, reaching number 1 for 4 weeks on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart. This particular single was well sought after on import, I still have my copy!

The album reached number 2 on the UK album chart.

Track Listing

Don't Go
Too Pieces
Bad Connection
I Before E Except After C
Midnight
In My Room
Only You
Goodbye 70s
Tuesday
Winter Kills
Bring Your Love Down (Didn't I)

If you have this album in your collection, dig it out and give it a spin!

No comments:

Post a Comment