Friday 26 April 2024

The New Pet Shop Boys Album "Nonetheless" Reviewed

The Pet Shop Boys are back with a new album called "Nonetheless", that is getting glowing reviews, after several listens we have put together our review/thoughts on the album.

Loneleness has really grown on me and I prefer the album version, superb orchestration and driving beat and bass, easy to see why it was chosen as the lead single, probably their best lead single since "Love Etc".

Feel A bit of a kraftwerk and italodisco vibe, lush orchestration, that sequenced bass-line is fabulous, really like this track, great chorus.

Why Am I Dancing? ticks all the boxes for me, uplifting, melodic and another terrific sequenced bass-line, Chris has come up with some superb music on this album and Neil is on top form on this track.

New London Boy is a beautiful ballad and definitely get the connection to "Being Boring", a beautiful sound palette, reminiscent to "A New Life" and "Do I Have To?", excellent lyrics, a very nice laid back and at times sad sounding song, a reflective lookback on life.

Dancing Star The best compliment I can give this song, is that it wouldn't be out of place on "Please", I love the sound created on this track the way it takes you back to their debut album era. A strong track although a little bit short, perfect choice for a single release.

A New Bohemia Is a track I was looking forward to due to the title alone, on first listen I was a bit disappointed, however, after several listens the track has really grown on me, it has outstanding orchestration again and that chorus grabs you after a few plays. Can now see why it has been chosen as the 3rd single.

The Schlager Hit Parade seems to be the one track on the album that the media and fans feel is the weakest track on the album, not for me, I think it is superb and is a distant cousin to "Shameless", fantastic chorus and a well constructed track, it is the one track I find myself singing around the house. Pure pop, Pure Pet Shop Boys!

The Secret Of Happiness has a 60s vibe, a beautiful song and another song on which Neils vocals are brilliant, outstanding orchestration, what more can I say...perfect!

Bullet For Narcissus First off, what a great title, we are in house music territory on this one, this is my choice for weakest track on the album but is a grower and is still a song I like.

Love Is The Law closes the album and is epic and perfection on a grand scale, flawless!

I wasn't a fan of the Price trilogy (really don't like electric, super had some good moments but not enough strong tracks to carry the album, Hotspot is the best of the trilogy bunch, but again, a few weak tracks) but this is a massive return to form and despite my reservations about James Ford producing the album he has done a fantastic job on the production, like working with Trevor Horn, Ford and the Pet Shop Boys are a perfect partnership, hopefully their will be another album produced by James Ford.

This is the strongest set of songs and best album Neil & Chris have recorded in years, it's absolutely fabulous!

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment