Thursday 7 March 2024

Put The Needle On The Record - Week #10

Put The Needle On The Record Week #10 Talk Talk - It's My Life

I think we all have albums we haven't played in years and this feature, hopefully, will encourage you to play the featured album we choose each week.

For this weeks feature we go back to February 1984 and the 2nd album released by Synthpop band Talk Talk, this is an album I had on heavy rotation in the bedsit I was living in at the time, I loved their debut album (that may appear at some point in this feature....you never know!). The album "It's My Life" has superbly crafted songs and Mark Hollis on lead vocals, what a talent he was and is sadly missed today, Hollis was the main songwriter and either wrote or co-wrote every song on the album.

Even today, I have no idea why the band changed direction musically after this album, I gave up on them after the album "The Colour Of Spring", however, the first 2 Talk Talk albums are 80s classics in my book.

The album featured 3 singles, the title track "It's My Life" (criminal that this gem only reached number 46 in the UK Singles chart!), "Such A Shame" (which only peaked at number 49 on the UK Singles chart) and "Dum Dum Girl" (which amazingly only reached number 74 in the UK Singles chart). There were definitely 2 other tracks on the album that could have been singles "It's You" and "The Last Time".

It is disappointing that this album only reached number 35 in the UK albums chart, it deserved better than that, as did the singles.

Track listing

Dum Dum Girl
Such A Shame
Renee
It's My Life
Tomorrow Started
The Last Time
Call In The Night Boy
Does caroline Know?
It's You

So if you have the album in your collection and have n't played it in a while, dig it out and give it a spin, go on, you know you want too!

No comments:

Post a Comment